Friday, September 10, 2010

Making Pictures

My pictures lately have not been that great. Maybe I've simply set the bar higher for myself, or maybe I'm getting rusty. I'm more inclined to believe it's due to my new need to use the manual settings on my camera. No matter how you dice it, I'm not happy with the product. Don't get me wrong, head shots are fine, but those are rather routine at this point.

My number one problem is focus. I have trouble knowing when something is crisp, especially in a darker environment. I don't mind using auto-focus in bright situations, but when it's dark the camera has to use this little focusing light that pretty much tells people I'm taking their picture and ruins any sort of candid moment I'm attempting. There has to be some sort of solution.

But then, maybe I'm simply not good at it.

I don't know, that's the thing, I just don't know. I know as artists we aren't suppose to work for praise. We're suppose to have a message that we want to deliver to an audience. What a bunch of egotistical nonsense. When I get up on stage or take a picture it's because I want someone to appreciate and respect what I'm doing. If the audience is unresponsive then I haven't done my job. I don't know a single actor who is indifferent to a bad review. Despite what they may say, it effects them.

When you untag a picture I take of you, it's like a bad review. I don't make a picture public unless it is a good picture of you. So when you snub it, it hurts. I'm like every other overly sensitive artist out there (meaning all of them), I don't like to see my art rejected on any level.

So of course, now I'm feeling all sad for myself being such a poor photographer. Oh, boo-hoo, Heather. I'm always so eager to begin brimming with self-pity a jealousy. Not this time, Miss Moats. This time I'm realize that all of my photographic issues are for the most part technical and can be solved by a bit more study. I'm going to realize I'm a lot better that many "photographers" out there despite my faults. I'm going to realize I've only really been doing this for two years and I'm not going to be perfect over night.

See, already in a more chipper mood! I'm also in a productive mood, which is a good thing with all the housework I need to do when I get home. It's amazing how easily my tiny apartment starts looking like a tornado went through. I'm going to admit something. I'm terribly messy.

So there you have it, another roller coaster ride through my highs and lows. And now, a picture that I took and like.

No comments:

Post a Comment