Monday, September 27, 2010

Scarf Season

Today I wore a scarf to work. It's taken a turn for the cold in Chicago. More than ever I feel myself bracing for the impending head on collision with winter. After doing laundry this past weekend, I tucked my shorts far into the back of my closet and pulled my sweaters forward. Farewell soft summer dresses. Hello bulky fall jackets.

As a sort of last hurrah before the real cold sets in, Sergio and I embarked on a twenty-five mile bike ride on Saturday. I'm not what one would call an athlete. I'm more of a napper or an eater. More indoor cat than border collie. However, despite the length, over all, it was more fun that not. Sure, towards the end, riding into a strong head wind left a lot to be desired, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't proud of myself.

We went to Meigs Field, which is a place I'm sure not a lot of people know about. It's the other side of the Field Museum and used to be a small airport for the rich. Now it's a wide expanse of prairie grass and wild flowers, far enough isolated that the sound of traffic is faint and distance. Little crickets rubbing their legs together, Canadian geese gently honking, and unobstructed wind whooshing through the tall grass are a welcome aural oasis from the usual bustling sounds of the city.

In the middle of the field are three metal nymphs standing at least ten feet high. I'm usually turned off by sculpture in the midst of natural beauty, but these three simply look as if they belong.

I know I'm sounding like a bad travel writer at this point, so I promise I'll stop soon. It's rare to find a gem like this in a city overrun by people. It's a place to be bathed in sunlight and joy. It's a place to find inspiration in the midst of concrete and glass.

But now it's raining and I get the sinking feeling I won't be truly warm again for another six months. Fall will be crisp and too brief. Winter will be unrelenting. I'll be found under blankets, hibernating with my cat, Fay. I must cheer up. Consider the beautiful foliage that is on the cusp of changing or the snow ball fights that are soon to be had. It's not all ruddy faces and bruised bottoms from slick ice. It's candy corn and pumpkin pie. Turkey and parades. Presents!

We'll think about those things and then worry about winter after that holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment