Thursday, September 9, 2010

Not All Floridians are Crazy

I would like to think of myself as a pretty sane person within the vast spectrum of insanity despite the fact that I was born in Florida. In the past few years it has come to my attention that Florida has a pretty bad reputation for being filled with elderly curmudgeons and backwards thinking religious zealots. But we aren't all like that! But on second thought, I did get out of there as soon as possible.

I want to address the issue that I think links all of Florida's ignorant population together: The elderly.

Now, I don't usually mind old people. There are a lot of great ones out there. But, when they flock to my home state to retire and refuse to pay a state income tax because they don't believe they should be supporting an education system for children that aren't even related to them, I get a tad annoyed. Florida's school system is poor because no one is supporting it. This in turn feeds into an uneducated and ignorant population who burn sacred religious texts, put up massive confederate flags, and start complaining at any sort of hint their taxes might go up.

But despite this vicious cycle, I made it out okay and I know a few others who did too. It's unfortunate that we've seemed to abandon her. There are only so many days of 90 degree heat with 100% humidity and no breeze you can put up with. But I still have hope for our Southern most state. Maybe one day someone with a spine will be elected Governor and the state income tax that is long overdue will be implemented. It's unlikely with the geriatric populace shaking their canes angrily, but I can dream.

So please don't hate on all Floridians. Much like Islam, despite the common belief that we're all terrible, it's only a small percentage of the whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment