Wednesday, July 14, 2010

An Uninspired Post

I don't have much time to write. Quite frankly only a very minuscule part of me actually feels like writing right now, but I thought it might be time to push myself to do some whilst uninspired. After all, I doubt the greatest writers felt like writing every day. Only 1/10 of any art is inspiration, the rest is good old hard work. Any one who says otherwise is most likely lazy.

So what to write about? I'm at work and the busy day is coming to a close. People are trickling out and I'm stuck behind my desk wondering if someone is going to call between now and 5:15 trying to sell us something. I feel bad for the salesmen. What a horrible job. You're entire livelihood depends on convincing someone they need something they probably don't in fact need.

But I answer the phone. I connect people who need to be connected, or at least try to.

I'm constantly distracted by this idea of future me. I'm so hung up on this idea of individuality and the need for self-expression, but maybe the last thing the world needs is another artist. Maybe the world needs an artist who's not afraid face reality, enter mainstream and even teach our future or even lead it.

I'm completely in love with the idea of teaching. Maybe it's my youthful innocence, but I want to inspire people and give them hope and knowledge. Despite our tarnished history, I have an abundance of hope for humanity. I've seen the trail of bloodshed we've left in our wake, but I've also seen the blossoming of acceptance and understanding. As our ability to communicate with one another improves, I can't help but imagine our xenophobia, homophobia, and pretty much any type of peoplephobia will decline. Knowledge, real, honest to goodness knowledge not propaganda is the best weapon against hatred.

I'm sounding like a hippy, I know. Let's just love one another, man. Do I ever think we'll have a world without war or crime? No. But that is no reason to stop fighting for Utopia. If we stop, we'll slip further and further back. We have to fight to tread water. We have to fight harder to make headway.

No comments:

Post a Comment