Friday, July 30, 2010

Friday Drizzle

It's Friday and quiet. It makes the ever present electric whir from the overhead lights more pronounced. It makes me lazy and tired. I'm eyeing the box of candy on my desk and doing my best to keep these cravings at bay.

The day before yesterday was a big day. My anniversary with Sergio. We've been in Chicago together for a year. When I think back, sometimes it feels like a month, other times it feels like we've been together a blissful eternity. It's been a good year, filled with growth and advancement. We've been anything by stagnant.

I'm sounding rather clinical today. I'm real excited that it's almost the weekend. The only thing is, I wish it was the weekend. It's only 3h45m away. So close I can almost taste it.

But instead of blabbering on about this or that in this wildly unstructured manner, let's talk about something. Let's talk about Florida.

I never in a million years thought I'd being saying this, but, I kind of miss Florida. Not all of it, of course. I could live without the humidity and pushy tourists, but there are some really great things about my birth-state. Disney World. I miss Disney World like the desert miss' the rain. Call me kitsch or crazy, but sometimes I just want an excuse to recreate my childhood, naive and lovely as it was. If I could just magically ride the WED-Way People mover right now, I couldn't be sad about anything for at least a week.

The weather. Yes it was hot almost every single freaking day of the year, but at least the sun was out. The rain is on a regular schedule. Storm clouds roll in at around 3 or 4 and they're gone by 6, perfect for an afternoon siesta. It's rare that you have an all day gloomy affair like today.

And of course, as corny as it may sound, I miss my family. I didn't realize how much I would. I don't really know what else to say, just that I do.

So there you have it, a brief glimpse at my nostalgia for a state I no longer belong to. I don't know if I could find lasting happiness along its sundrenched shores or alligator riddled swamps, but it gave me a lot while I was there. I can't wait to visit in September.

No comments:

Post a Comment