Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Record Player

Today, I bought a record player. It isn't my first record player, but it is my first since I've moved to Chicago. I've missed the full bodied music that only vinyl can produce. I don't claim to be a music aficionado. I'm in fact one of the last to know about any new great band, but I hope my purchase will help me to think of my music collection as an extension of myself. What a hipster thing to say, I know. The truth is, I can't make my own music so I will use others' to aid in my own self expression.

I'm a folksy kind of gal. Right now I'm listening to Fleet Foxes, a band that I've known for two years now, and never get sick of. I plan to buy their LP sometime this week and christen my record player with it. I also love Edward Sharp and the Magnetic Zero's and Iron and Wine. I like to think I'm a bit earthy. I can picture myself in cabin somewhere in the Blue Ridge Mountains, autumn, cup of tea, crafting the next great American novel, listening to any number of these artists.

Music engages my mind in such a way that I find it hard to worry about things. I can't hardly concentrate when a song I love plays. It's one of my few oasis'. I think everyone deserves an escape from the violence and anger that seem to be on every street corner. So lets smile and toast music, one of the greatest achievements of mankind.

No comments:

Post a Comment