Tuesday, June 8, 2010

What is Photography?

These next seven photography class filled weeks will be a challenge. I have a lot to learn starting with the most basic technical aspects of my DSLR. I discovered last night that I don't understand how to turn off the automatic settings, let alone use the the darn thing manually. Some great photographer I am. How I long for the simplicity of a film camera!

But that's the easy part. That's the part I can learn and, with a little practice, become proficient at. There is a deeper, more personal subject I must at least begin to explore in this class: What does it mean to be Heather the artist?

Currently, photography is a way to show people a snippet from the world as I see it. I give focus to those things that I focus on. I show moments of intimacy between myself and my subject. I love the idea of capturing a mundane moment. It's within this banality that honesty exists. There is little truth behind a posed smile.

I've been casually using the term subject to mean a person. I don't limit myself to shooting people, but at the moment, it's what most interests me. I'm sure at the time, my candid shots at parties can be annoying to my friends, but I hope that in a few years they may look back and witness their development as a person. To be frank, I don't make pictures for my subject. That they get something beneficial from them, is just a nice side effect.

I've been toying with the idea of a series of portraits. My hope would be that by using friends they will be more open. My idea is that they will bring the one thing from their home that they would grab if there was a fire and I would photograph them with it. I think it may be a good way to start exploring use of light. Since it will be in black and white, I want to find several backdrops with different and strong patterns.

Our teacher spoke of a photographer who teaches at Columbia (his name escapes me at the moment) who has spent the last twenty years photographing his house. What sounds dull is in fact beautiful and exciting. He's documented a divorce, a remarriage, children leaving. It's breathtaking how a building will change. It drives home the meaning of home.

As an exercise, I want to play with this. I pride myself on having pretty good composition skills. Here is my chance to prove it.

Man, oh, man, I'm excited about the endless possibilities for my photographic future.

No comments:

Post a Comment