Monday, January 17, 2011

The Field Museum

I have found that place in Chicago which truly makes me feel at home, that little niche where I can wander wide eyed, overflowing with new knowledge, and overwhelmed by what this tiny dot in our mind bogglingly huge universe can produce. The Field Museum with it's nearly complete Tyrannosaurus Rex skeleton, Sue, and its plethora of mummified cats from ancient Egypt, fills me with an excessive joy that I rarely have found outside of the Nitrous Oxide my dentist would give me when I was little.

I'm fascinated by ribs. It's a weird thing to be intrigued by, I know. When I stood below the massive Sue, her ribs kept my gaze. I just imagined these very ribs, 67 million years ago, gently inflating and deflating as she took in precious air. Maybe it's because it's refreshing to find something familiar belonging to something so foreign.

Don't get me started on Egypt. People, dead for thousands of years, look like they could just about open their eyes and stroll out of their glass cases. Did you know that in Ancient Egypt I would have been an inch taller than the average man? Besides the fact that I would have been an Egyptian model, they also worshipped cats. Do we need any more proof that I was born in the wrong time?

Now I have a membership. I have big plans for frequent visits to the museum. My little plastic mold T-Rex with "The Field Museum Chicago" stamped across its base, sitting on my desk will serve as a reminder of the ample amount of awesome that awaits me up those marble steps and through those ionic columns.

No comments:

Post a Comment