Monday, August 23, 2010

An Artistic Post

Lately my blog has been about the frustration of politics and has lived very much in the macrocosm of my life. I thought it was time to take a step back and talk a little bit about what's happening now, in the artistic realm of my tender and erratic existence.

This past weekend, at about 4 am Sunday, I did a play. Tympanic Theatre Company was selected to be part of the Abbie Hoffman Theatre Festival at Mary Arrchie this year. Abbie Hoffman is 72 hours of non-stop theatre. It is insane, much like its namesake. Here I am thinking, 4 in the morning, we're going to have a few scattered company members in the audience. No, it's packed. More than that, it's packed with highly inebriated theatre goers thanks to the tradition of handing out beer to the viewers. Attempting to do a somewhat quiet show in that environment was somewhat of a struggle, but invigorating. I went from exhaustion to completely energized just standing by the bathrooms, waiting to go on.

To say I enjoyed the whole process would be a lie. Our time slot was 1:45. Having to wait an extra two hours, not fun. I understand that its a hippie theatre festival, but there's something to say for organization.

Last night I slept like I had never slept before. I'm actually surprised I heard my alarm go off this morning. But I feel well rested. Maybe I'm crashing slightly now, but it's that usual 2 O'clock feeling. I actually felt so creative today, I worked on my play. It might not be so bad. I even added a few more pages and introduced a new character. The new stuff really isn't so good, but it's out there now so I can mold it into something, hopefully, better.

I think all my creative juices have been spilt for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment