Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I'm an Idealist

I was told yesterday that I had a nice "text-book answer" in regards to my support of the Islamic Cultural Center (or Mosque as everyone insists on calling it despite that being one minute part of the whole) two blocks from Ground Zero. In tandem with this being a very condescending comeback intended as a "aw that's cute, now let the grown-ups talk" response, it made me wonder, what's wrong with a text-book answer?

To tell this religious group that they can not build on this private land is unconstitutional. There it is, cut and dry. What else is there to say? It's a text-book answer because it doesn't need an explanation.

I am not unsympathetic towards the families of the victims of 9/11. If Al Qaeda decided to set up shop two blocks away from Ground Zero, or hell, anywhere with in the United States, I would be the first one to protest, constitution or not. But Islam can not be blamed for the actions of radicals any more than Christianity can be blamed for Jonestown or the Oklahoma City Bombing. I understand that it must be very difficult for these people to separate Islam from terrorism, but this is America. We're suppose to rise above our enemies and recognize that innocents should not be punished for the actions of others.

As this title says, I am an idealist. I believe that we could live in a country that doesn't fight fruitless wars. I believe our military's budget could be safely and greatly diminished and our health care system vastly improved with that saved money. I believe our school system can be one of the best in the world. I believe we can put aside our religious differences and live side by side. If I didn't believe these things, I wouldn't fight for them, and if nobody fights, how could we even come close.

1 comment:

  1. Missed your thoughts today and your rants!!! Almost called you by by my nickname for you, caught it in time!!! UR A D LOVE YA!!!!

    ReplyDelete