Monday, August 16, 2010

Real Life Story Telling



Whether you believe Steven Slater is a new American folk hero or not, you have to admit his dramatic exit makes for a great story. The truth is, we all love to hear about a martyr/dumb ass making some grand gesture in defiance of "the man". Whether what he did was wrong or right is moot.

I write a blog because I enjoy writing with truth. Even within my fictional exploits, elements of honesty must be woven within. I consider blogging my writing stretch. I start out with something out in the world, a happening, an opinion, and add something to it.

Steven Slater's story reads like fiction. If it were in a novel, would critics find it believable? I'm trying to figure out exactly what I'm trying to say here. I guess, I love it when something extraordinary happens in life because it becomes a clear example of how fiction technique mimics life. We see the effect of a folk hero like Robin Hood had on people, so authors write stories about them and orators recount their legends verbally.

Personally, it's nice to have a larger than life hero to look up to from time to time. I can't imagine listening to screaming babies, too loud iPods, and grumpy passengers inside a metal tube for hours every day with out eventually snapping. But let's be real, if you're going to snap, for gods sake, snap like Steven Slater: grab two beers and go down a slide.

2 comments:

  1. My dear Miss Moats, love your blog and enjoy your insight to life you make me smile, of course you made me smile when you were little !!! It amazes me that you havn`t written short stories and submitted them to magazines or even the readers digest your a very very talented young woman and I`M PROUD OF YOU!! LOVE ALWAYS YOUR AUNT DORK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading my blog! Did my mom tell you I'm coming for a visit Labor Day weekend? You should come over to the beach with us.

    ReplyDelete