Friday, August 13, 2010

Friday the 13th

So ladies and gentlemen, it's that spookiest of all Friday's, the 13th. Over all though, I haven't had too much bad luck as of yet (knock on wood). I woke up on time, I made it to work on time, and there was even coffee cake! In my A People's History of the United States I've made it to the feminist movement and for once I don't feel completely depressed by our countries history. I mean, this is the couple of decades where we really made some drastic headway. The little man (or woman) stood up to the Man and won a lot. Not everything, but that's a different blog post.

A good Friday. I guess if there is a little bad luck it would have to be these jeans I'm wearing. It's casual Friday which is awesome. However, I'm learning just because you can wear jeans, doesn't necessarily mean you should. Not when it's in the 90's outside. Dumb move, Miss Moats. However, the good luck is these are my favorite jeans and they do cute things for my bum.

Which brings me to my next point (this is going to be a slightly scattered post if you could not already tell) I had an epiphany concerning my body this morning. I was walking by a store window and I checked myself out, you know, just to make sure everything in order. But something struck me about this profile, full length view. The reason I have trouble fitting into size four jeans isn't really my (small)belly pooch. It's the fact that I have a little junk in my trunk.

Now this may not seem so mind blowing to most people, but the truth is, I wear a lot of skirts and slacks and I don't own a full length mirror. It never occurred to me that my tight pants had anything to do with my rump. A nice little boost of self confidence on a Friday morning never went awry.

So now that I'm done being all girly and fawning over my own body, the photography bug is biting again. I'm feeling the need to take some epic pictures, like grandiose landscapes a la Ansel Adams. Unfortunately, the Midwest is a little on the flat side. I want to go to the desert. Maybe the Badlands. Or maybe old west style with massive red arches of stone. There was this photographer, and I feel like such a dunce now that I can't remember his name or find him through Google, who drove around America taking picture that were his interpretation of, well, America. This was like in the 50's. I think our fair country deserves new documentation.

We as a nation have changed significantly. While we've gained a lot, a majority of our current issues strike a disturbingly familiar cord. Racism, the idea of the existence of a second class citizen, sexism are all alive and well despite that they are now taboo. When a woman is raped, a police officer might not blame her to her face these days, but the underlying belief that "she had it coming" is still prevalent.

Maybe one day I'll buy a tiny trailer and head out "look for America" as Simon and Garfunkle put it. Maybe that's what I'm working for, why I put $100 away every pay day. Maybe in two years I'll pack it all up and take it on the road before I throw myself at the mercy of grad school.

Plans, plans, plans, so many plans. Let's start solidifying some of these plans, shall we. Actual adventures, now that would be an awesome blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment